Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nine previous Continental Cups have been staged
Canadas freestyle ski team will have a decidedly different look this season. Air Jordan Outlet . The likes of Justine Dufour-Lapointe, Dara Howell and Mikael Kingsbury will be there, but there was one glaring absence on the squad unveiled Wednesday. Two-time Olympic moguls gold medallist Alex Bilodeau retired after the last World Cup season, leaving a big hole on the team as it begins the long road to the 2018 Games in South Korea. Bilodeau became the first Canadian to win Olympic gold on home soil with his memorable victory at the 2010 Games in Vancouver, and he repeated the performance in Sochi earlier this year. Kingsbury, who battled Bilodeau for the last few years and finished second in Russia this winter, says he will miss competing against his rival. The first couple World Cups, Im going to miss somebody to look up to and to learn from. Hes been a great athlete, Kingsbury said on a conference call. He pushed me. Since I was very young, he was my role model. Kingsbury is a three-time overall World Cup champion, and while he and Bilodeau were friends away from the hill, they were fierce opponents on it. Im going to miss him in a way, but in another way he was one of the strongest competitors to have, said Kinsbury, a native of Deux Montagnes, Que. Im going to try to have new motivation, to continue to push and work hard to stay ranked first in the world. Kingsbury, who turns 22 next week, said Bilodeaus retirement doesnt open any doors because hes already had a lot of success in his young career. He was the star for sure. He won the Olympics in Vancouver -- first (Canadian) gold medallist to win on home soil -- and Sochi, Kingsbury said. He won the two days that he needed to win, but at the same time I dont think its my turn to shine because I won the Crystal Globe and he was there, I won the world championship and he was there. At the Olympics he did his run. I tried everything I could to win but he had the run that he needed and he totally deserved it. Like the rest of the freestyle ski team, Kingsburys focus is primed on training for the coming season, with thoughts of the 2018 Olympics in South Korea also lingering. I just want to continue what Ive been doing, and not do more because Alex is not there, he said. If he would have continued I would have been super happy and still would have worked hard to win the gold medal in 2018. Thats my next plan. Its four years -- four years is long. Im going to be ready for 2018 but theres many things to come. Dufour-Lapointe won gold in Sochi in womens moguls, and will now take it one year at a time as she starts to build towards the next Games. The same is true of teammate Audrey Robichaud, who finished 10th in the womens moguls in Sochi. Personally I feel like Im still on a high from the Olympics, said Robichaud, a native of Quebec City. What keeps me going is I feel like I can still get better and theres room for improvement. Also headlining the Canadian team for the 2014-15 season is Howell, who topped the podium in womens slopestyle in Sochi, Chloe Dufour-Lapointe -- the silver medallist in moguls behind her younger sister at the Games -- and Kim Lamarre, who finished third in slopestyle. The other Sochi medallist on this years team is Mike Riddle, who took silver in halfpipe. The rest of the Canadian freestyle team for the upcoming year includes: aerial skiers Travis Gerrits, Olivier Rochon, Jean-Christophe Andre and Sabrina Guerin; halfpipe skiers Mike Riddle, Justin Dorey, Simon dArtois, Rosalind Groenewoud, Keltie Hansen, Megan Gunning; slopestyle skiers Alex Beaulieu-Marchand, Alex Bellemare, Evan McEachran and Kaya Turski; and moguls skiers Marc-Antoine Gagnon, Philippe Marquis and Maxime Dufour-Lapointe. Cheap Air Jordan Free Shipping .com) - James Harden put the Houston Rockets on his back and willed them to an overtime victory on Thursday. Air Jordan China . A groundswell for raising the number of playoff qualifiers to seven in each conference figures to get plenty of support from the 32 owners. Most notably, Arizonas Bill Bidwill, who saw his Cardinals go 10-6 and not get in, while Green Bay (8-7-1) qualified by winning the NFC North. https://www.jordanchina.us/ .com) - DAngelo Harrison posted 21 points to guide No.The Canadian Curling Association will take over sole operation and decision-making for future editions of the World Financial Group Continental Cup. The curling version of golfs Ryder Cup was formerly a joint collaboration between the CCA, World Curling Federation and USA Curling. But following the 2014 WFG Continental Cup, which is scheduled for January at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, the CCA will take control of the event. "Weve had a positive working relationship with the WCF and USA Curling since the WFG Continental Cup debuted in 2002 in Regina, but we felt that to continue building on the momentum that will be generated from the Las Vegas event, it was important that the CCA take a strong role in determining future directions for the WFG Continental Cup," said CCA Chief Executive Officer Greg Stremlaw. "Weve always believed this event has huge potential for attracting new curling fans, and were excited about what we can do to take it to new levels in the future." Among the changes for future editions of the WFG Continental Cup will be increased Canadian content. Traditionally, the event pitted a North American side against teams from the rest of the world, with four Canadian (two mens, two womens) teams combining with two U.S.-based teams (one mens, one womens) to form Team North America. Instead, effective at the 2015 WFG Continental Cup, Jan. 8-11 in Calgary, the event will feature an all-Canadian entry (three mens, three womens teams). The Canadian teams will consist of the 2013 Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings Canadian Curling Trials mens and womens champions Brad Jacobs of Sault Ste. Wholesale Air Jordan. Marie, Ont., and Jennifer Jones of Winnipeg; the 2014 Tim Hortons Brier and Scotties Tournament of Hearts champions; and the 2014 Canada Cup mens and womens champions (to be decided Dec. 3-7 in Camrose, Alta.). In alternating years, Canada will take on Team Europe (2015, 2017) and Team World (2016, 2018), consisting of teams from the U.S. and other non-European curling nations. "Having more Canadian teams involved is always a good thing," said Stremlaw. "It will also mean more rivalries and more excitement as other countries join forces in hopes of taking down the worlds most accomplished curling nation." Nine previous Continental Cups have been staged, with Team North America prevailing five times, including the most recent edition last January in Penticton, B.C. The first five Continental Cups featured North American teams playing European teams; Asian teams were added to the mix in 2008 at Camrose, Alta., and the Team North America vs. Team World format was adopted. The WFG Continental Cup features a variety of curling competitions, including traditional team games, skins, mixed doubles and singles. Record crowds are already guaranteed for the Las Vegas event, said Stremlaw, and future visits to the U.S. for the Continental Cup are very likely. "Were thrilled with the response to our first WFG Continental Cup staged outside of Canada," he said. "Well continue to look for new opportunities such as this one to build not only the event, but the sport of curling and showcase it in unique ways." ' ' '